2004-11-19

Bloglines


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



OK, my new job has forced some technology changes. I can't access my home e-mail from work, and while at work I don't have a whole lot of time to web surf, blog, etc.

As previously mentioned, I'm leaning on Google's GMail a lot more.

As for being able to do an occasional blog span, I've discovered Bloglines.

It seemed like Mozilla Firefox's live bookmarks would be a great solution. One simply needs to drop their favorites menu and mouse over the site names to see a quick list of recent article titles. Turns out FIrefox is not quite as finished and bug free as is claimed. It has a great deal of trouble resolving url's on our network at work. After searching Mozilla's knowledge base and forums I discovered that this is not uncommon and so far there is no solution.

Not to worry. Bloglines is a wonderful web-based aggregator and more. They also offer each user a rudimentary journal site to share sources and entries.

I took a while, but I'm starting to appreciate web-based solutions. I had been one of those people who likes their software installed on their machine. The problem is, I use no less than four different computers with some regularity. Sometimes sharing data between them can be a hassle. Ram drives are nice for files and things like that. But for e-mail, and blog/journal-reading a web-based solution is much easier and just makes sense. These aren't things you are going to be doing unless you have access to the web anyway. If they ever devise a solution for sharing Outlook contacts and contact changes with GMail, I'll probably shift over altogether.

|

About me

Previous posts

Archives

Categories

Links


ATOM 0.3
  • Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.