2005-01-03

Greatest Rock and Pop Songs


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Powerline has linked Professor Geras' call for lists of top 10 rock and pop songs. Be sure to hop over there and cast your vote.

Meanwhile, I always enjoy these things, so here are my choices.

First my Top Ten "Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't a good song" songs: Some I like, some I don't. Simply, I keep my taste in check and vote for the songs I think are the most deserving of Top 10 of All Time status.

  1. Time - Pink Floyd

  2. Carry on My Wayward Son - Kansas

  3. Hotel California - The Eagles

  4. Candle in the Wind (original) - Elton John

  5. My Generation - The Who

  6. Let It Be - The Beatles

  7. Piano Man - Billy Joel

  8. Cold as Ice - Foreigner

  9. True - Spandau Ballet

  10. Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash


Notes: Yes, no Stones, no Doors, no Zeppelin. I know everyone will think they should be up there due to their tremendous following. I am checking my own taste up to a point, but the Beatles were my acknowledgement that there are a group of bands that made a huge impact despite pumping out so-so music.

OK, now My true Top Ten:

  1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

  2. Cold As Ice - Foreigner

  3. Time - Pink Floyd

  4. Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash

  5. Jamie's Cryin' - Van Halen

  6. Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra

  7. Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas

  8. Tainted Love - Soft Cell

  9. Bringin' on the Heartbreak - Def Leppard

  10. You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi


... and Honorable Mention Second Ten:

  1. Cheap Sunglasses - ZZ Top

  2. Radar Love - Golden Earring

  3. Dreamer - Ozzy Osbourne

  4. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive

  5. Moving in Stereo - The Cars

  6. You've Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

  7. Mysterious Ways - U2

  8. Let You Go - Aerosmith

  9. Back in Black - AC/DC

  10. The Zoo - The Scorpions


Notes: In a lot of cases I wanted to put a group on the list because their entire body of work is so awesome, and so the specific song could just as well have been any one of several.

In the you almost don't deserve to be on the list because ... category I have:

Van Halen for not getting along and thus giving a hopeful world a number of disappointing Van Imitations.

Foreigner for that whole "Four" business. With six your sound was distinct and edgy. With four you were just another eighties hit band.

Bon Jovi for being such a pretty boy. But, I just can't help it ... you ROCK, man!

On the other hand, kudos to Aerosmith and AC/DC for radical sea changes which actually beefed up their product, and to Def Leppard in dealing with their drummer's loss of an arm. They were white hot coming off of "Pyromania" before the tragedy and emerged from it as hot or hotter with "Hysteria."

Finally, as I was compiling my list, I realized that the word "love" kept popping up and that I had the ingredients for the best list of all ... My Top Ten "Love" Songs:

  1. Love Bites - Def Leppard

  2. Love Stinks - J Geills Band

  3. You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi

  4. Radar Love - Golden Earring

  5. Tainted Love - Soft Cell

  6. Love Don't Live Here Anymore - Madonna

  7. I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf

  8. Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benetar

  9. Ain't Talking 'Bout Love - Van Halen

  10. I Hate Myself for Loving You - Joan Jett


Enjoy!

|

About me

Previous posts

Archives

Categories

Links


ATOM 0.3
  • Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.