2005-06-24

Movie Quotes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Thanks to John Rabe for pointing out AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes.

Rabe rightly observes that with Fletch not represented, the list is a "sham." I couldn't agree more, although I believe that Fletch is impeded by its own level of difficulty. Most great Fletch quotes require a bit of a set up, and this is, after all, Hollywood.

Moving on, my notes ...

The top quotes; "Frankly, my dear ..." from Gone with the Wind, and "... make him and offer ..." from Godfather were predictable. I'd probably argue for a different Godfather quote, but there are so many good Godfather quotes that it's hard to find fault.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate," from Cool Hand Luke. That one takes me back - awesome flick, but then, would you expect anything else from Paul Newman?

"Houston we have a problem," from Apollo 13. I've got to throw the flag on this one. It's a famous historical quote that showed up in the movie covering that historical event. I hate to burst Hollywood's bubble, but some things did happen and become noteworthy before, if ever, they showed up on a screen.

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner," from Dirty Dancing. Come on, now. Granted it's memorable, but it's also one of those cheezy Patrick Swayzee quotes that are a dime a dozen. If you put this in, how do you justify leaving out much of Road House?

"Toga! Toga!" from Animal House. As a former college student ... yeah, this one caught on, big time, for a while. But, looking back from 2005, I think it was a phase. Not that Animal House is impotent when it comes to quotes. I would have gone with "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?"

Quotes I don't think belong in the top 100 memorable quotes:

"Is it safe?" from Marathon Man
Lecter's census taker line from Silence of the Lambs
"We rob banks," from Bonnie and Clyde
"Plastics," from The Graduate (the good Graduate quotes are already on the list)

And finally, conspicuous by their absence:

Something from Rain Man. "Time for Wapner."
Something from Stripes. "That's the fact, Jack!" "Lean mean fighting machine!"
Something from Princess Bride. "As you wish." "Inconceivable!" "My name is Iniego Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
Something from Goodfellas. "Do I amuse you?"
Something from Pink Panther. "Does your dog bite? ... That is not my dog."
Something from Blues Brothers. "We've got a full tank of gas and half a pack of cigarettes. It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it."
Something from Pulp Fiction. There's the whole Ezekiel passage, the discussion of dogs, bacon and clean animals, and Marcellus giving Butch advice on pride.
Something from Point Break. If you're going to put Swayzee's "baby in a corner," quote in there, there must be something you can use here.
Something from Matrix. "Why, oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill!?"
Something from Die Hard. Once again, if you're putting Swayzee in ... "Yippie-ki-yay ***!"

A lot of gaps here. I guess it's like voting on the MVP in baseball. No one has ever really agreed on the definition of V.

|

About me

Previous posts

Archives

Categories

Links


ATOM 0.3
  • Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.