2005-06-23

Notes from the Road


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I was on the road the first half of this week. My notes ...

I could live in Owensboro. It has the small town feel with bigger city amenities, and the river front location is awesome.

Note to hotels: If you are going to provide internet access, provide it. The hotel had two ways to access the net - dial-up, and wireless which, judging by the scant wiff of signal that made it to our floor, apparently consisted of a hub powered by a single AA battery, buried deep within a sub-sub-basement of the building.

If I ever plan a convention/conference, I'm going to skip the mandatory two hour opening session where people take turns getting up and saying each other's name so they can feel important.

This is the first conference I've been to where there wasn't at least a modest layout of complementary refreshments besides water. On the other hand, I did receive a free travel size bottle of hand soap and State Farm Insurance emory board, so I guess I came out ahead on that one.

Note to the Noble Romans lady at the Dale gas station: how hard is it to operate a pizza cutter!? You've dealt the already beleaguered convenience store employee movement a setback.

Cliff Atkinson over at Beyond Bullets is right. I finally experienced a sharp, well-done Power Point presentation. Graphics, well-placed, well-selected photos, and an effective communicator giving the presentation was quite the effective mix.

I love looking at industrial stuff. I passed a huge power plant with steam billowing out of its cooling towers en route to Owensboro. From my window I watched huge, double-long barges laden with cargo being pushed up and down the river. I just like feeling the massive, gritty power of it all.

I passed a church in west Owensboro. As I was coming up on it, I first say, in big bold letters on their sign, "No Contemporary Worship." That struck me as an odd thing to feature. Then, as a I closed in and passed, I found it to be one of those signs with way too much text on it, but I did pick out "King James only" and "Fundamentalist." It's good to see them sticking with the King's English. After all, that's the language that Moses, David, Jesus, the Disciples and Paul all used. You start getting into radical translations like the NIV, the NRSV, and the NASB and the water gets muddy. How's a person supposed to understand the Gospel if you aren't using words that no one has heard in thirty years!?

I just don't get people who define themselves by what they are not.

|

About me

Previous posts

Archives

Categories

Links


ATOM 0.3
  • Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.