2006-02-02

Pigskin Prognosticating and Dumb Things Sports Journalists Say


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Last year's Super Bowl was a dilemma for me. I couldn't have cared less about either team, so it was hard to figure out who to root for. This year it's the same problem but the other way around. I'd be happy to see either team win.

I'm a big fan of both coaches. They are among the statesmen of the NFL. I've always rooted for Cowher to get his first ring and for Holmgren to take another team from mediocre to the top.

And, for the most part, both of these teams have been the picture of class throughout the playoffs. We've got a likeable bunch of guys in the Super Bowl this year.

I guess I'm rooting for PIttsburgh, but it's close.

And I'd sure hate to have to pick this one. Which brings me to ...

Dumb things sports journalists say:

Coming into the playoffs, prevailing wisdom had the AFC winner being a prohibitive favorite over the NFC. Now, not so much.

Why? ... because Pittsburgh was the #6 seed. Yeah. And to that I say, "Go talk to the #3, #1 and #2 seeds, whom the Steelers beat up and down the field."

My concern with Pittsburgh is that no one has forced them to play a complete game in the playoffs. They've come storming out of the gate each time and then rode their big lead and big back to victory. They have yet to establish their running game in a competitive situation. If Seattle can force them to play a balanced offense for four quarters it's hard to predict how Pittsburgh will react.

Anyway, back to dumb things.

I did hear one other announcer's reasoning as to why Seattle will win: "Because they just seem ready to take that next step."

Which leads to the other pointless things you'll hear ...

"They just know how to win."

"They do all those little things that don't show up in the box score."

"They come to play." etc., etc.

They should just come out and say, "We didn't do our homework today."

|

About me

Previous posts

Archives

Categories

Links


ATOM 0.3
  • Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs2.5 License.